Friday, September 13, 2013

My Favorite Writing Tips (1)

I found these several tips interest me. I collected them from few websites I'd visited. I think that there will be more tips from the masters of writing. So, here it is, part one!

What is a writing (writer) itself?
Writing is a struggle against silence. ~ Carlos Fuentes 
It's a luxury being a writer, because all you ever think about is life. ~ Amy Tan 
Writing is a lonely job. Having someone who believes in you makes a lot of difference. They don't have to make speeches. Just believing is usually enough. ~ Stephen King 
When I say work, I only mean writing. Everything else is just odd jobs. ~ Margaret Laurence 
Writers live twice. ~ Natalie Goldberg   

How to be a writer?
The first thing you have to learn when you go into the arts is to learn to cope with REJECTION. If you can't, you're dead. ~ Warren Adler 
Write. Rewrite. When not writing or rewriting, read. I know of no shortcuts. ~ Larry L. King 
We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. ~ Ernest Hemingway 
When I sit down to write a book, I do not say to myself, 'I am going to produce a work of art.' I write it because there is some lie that I want to expose, some fact to which I want to draw attention, and my initial concern is to get a hearing. ~ George Orwell 
 It's none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way. ~ Ernest Hemingway 
Writing has laws of perspective, of light and shade just as painting does, or music. If you are born knowing them, fine. If not, learn them. Then rearrange the rules to suit yourself. ~ Truman Capote

How do a writer write?
I always start writing with a clean piece of paper and a dirty mind. ~ Patrick Dennis 
I don't need an alarm clock. My ideas wake me. ~ Ray Bradbury 
Writing a novel is like driving a car at night. You can only see as far as your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way. ~ EL Doctorow 
Every secret of a writer's soul, every experience of his life, every quality of his mind, is written large in his works. ~ Virginia Woolf 
There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you. ~ Maya Angelou 
When your story is ready for rewrite, cut it to the bone. Get rid of every ounce of excess fat. This is going to hurt; revising a story down to the bare essentials is always a little like murdering children, but it must be done. Stephen King 

No comments:

Post a Comment